The mission of the 350CT Tar Sands Working Group is to eliminate all policies and projects that contribute in any way to exploitation of tar sands.
The damage done by such policies and projects is environmentally catastrophic and hence immoral.
To replace such policies and projects, the 350CT Tar Sands Working Group advocates for development of sustainable energysystems.
2013 Upcoming Events:
1) Jan 26 : March and Rally in Portland, Maine to oppose the proposed Northeast Tar Sands pipeline :
Our goal would be to get as many people there from CT as possible. Contact us if you would like to attend and we will see about organizing rides. Also if you want to RSVP on the meetup site, that would make it easier to keep a count: http://www.meetup.com/350CT-org/
3) Feb 17 : KEYSTONE XL TAR SANDS PIPELINE PROTEST IN WASHINGTON D.C
Once again, our goal is getting as many members to attend as possible. I also thought we could consider trying to organize a meeting with our senator and representatives either on the prior Friday or following Monday. Let me know how you feel about that. Once again you can contact us if you plan on attending or RSVP on the meetup site so we can make travel and lodging arrangements. http://www.meetup.com/350CT-org/events/96247982/
On Wednesday, July 25 350 CT will be marking the anniversary of the tar sands oil spill in Michigan’s Kalamazoo River with 2 events in hopes of preventing a similar tragedy in New England and anywhere else. Canadian pipeline company Enbridge Inc. is proposing reversing the flow on the Line 9 and the Portland-Montreal Pipe Line to carry tar sands bitumen through New England for export around the world. Doing so would corrode the pipeline to a point that a similar (or worse) spill is almost inevitable.
Event #1: We will be at the City Seed farmers market in New Haven from 11:00AM – 3:00 PM distributing information about Enbridge’s proposals, the damage tar sands does to land and water and enlisting support in convincing our legislators that exploiting tar sands are not in the national interest.
Event #2: We will be joined by the Climate Summer Riders for a bike ride to show our opposition to the tar sands and that transportation is possible without oil.
1. Leave New Haven Green at 5:00 (or so) for a ride around to city (route to be determined)
2. Wear black. I know it may be hot but we want to signify the near assurance that pipelines that carry bitumen from tar sands corrode and cause spills and water pollution
3. Attach black streamers or signs to your bike to simulate the large damage that these spills would cause.If you can join us at these events, help out or have questions please contact <[email protected]>. For more info check out http://www.tarsandsfreene.org
5/5/2012 : 350 CT held a Connect The Dots event in Wooster Square, New Haven and several people took action to tell the world they do not support the development of tar sands. They took photos for upload to the site http://standwithdavid.tumblr.com/. A few examples are below. Tar Sands keep popping up in other ways , which why our mission is to block all tar sands development and support renewable and sustainable ways to meet our energy needs. If you would like to take action here are few ways to do so: